Body weight training involves strength exercises that do no require free weights, using bodyweight only for resistance. These exercises can range from basic pull-ups, dips and sit-ups, to the advanced lever, planche and iron cross style training.
Bodyweight training equipment
When bodyweight training you may not require any fitness equipment at all, although common equipment used is often to increase the amount of weight, or some kind of apparatus to hang or lean from, such as -
- Gymnastics rings
- Weighted vest, ankle, or wrist weights
- Resistance bands for added assistance or resistance
- Pull-up / dipping stations
Advantages of bodyweight training
- Can be performed almost anywhere, with minmal equipment.
- Lifetime of challenges available from basic to advanced exercises.
- Develops lean, strong and defined physique.
- Suitable for beginners.
Disadvantages of bodyweight training
- Weight used is limited to bodyweight only without adding specialist equipment (weighted vests or suspension trainers).