The deadlift is a key strength training exercise and absolutely fundamental to building a strong, muscular physique. The deadlift will build the lower body like no other exercise, strengthen the entire back and core and hits all other major muscle groups in one simple movement.
This is an excellent functional exercise that relates to real life movement - the ability to bend down and lift something from the floor. 'Deadlifting' will develop strong, healthy back muscles that help prevent injury during every day life.
Working all the major muscle groups the deadlift is an essential exercise for any strength training regime.
How to Deadlift
The deadlift requires nothing other than weights, a barbell and some determination to lift it from the floor.
- Stand in front of loaded barbell, feet flat beneath the bar.
- Squat down (keep back straight) and grab the bar shoulder width or slightly wider (over hand or mixed grip).
- Lift the bar from the floor by extending the hips and knees fully, powering up using the legs and moving the torso to an upright position.
- Return the barbell to the floor in a controlled manner to complete the repetition. Pause. Repeat.
- Keep arms and back straight throughout
- Keep chest forward and shoulders back
- Lift the bar in a controlled smooth manner rather than using speed and momentum.
- If you have back or heart problems please seek medical / professional fitness advice before attempting the deadlift.