How to do the L Hang
- Dead hang from a bar or set of rings
- Keep the legs straight and held together
- Raise the legs until they are parallel to the floor and hold the position (your body will form an L shape) for as long as you can maintain good form
L Hang Guide
The L Hang is a static strength exercise performed on a pull-up bar, high-bar or gymnastics rings.
Similar in form to the L-Sit (except performed in a hanging position), the L Hang requires shoulder and arm strength to sustain the hold and very strong abs and hips to hold the legs parallel to the ground.
Beginning the L Hang
The L Hang is a difficult exercise requiring considerable strength to hold. Begin by training for the slightly easier L-Sit exercise (not performed in a hang position) before progressing to the hanging variation.
- Build up endurance with easier isometric exercises such as planks, bridges and the non-hanging L-sit
- Rather than holding the hanging l-sit for time, perform repetitions of hanging leg raises to build up strength
- Hang with the knees bent rather than straight legs to decrease difficulty
Advanced L Hang
- Weighted L Hangs
- Toes to Bar from L Hang
- Pull-up in L Hang