How to do the lunge
The lunge is a fundamental strength training exercise that is used to strengthen the leg muscles. This is a basic bodyweight exercise that is suitable for beginners and can be used with or without additional weight.
- Stand upright and keep the abdominal muscles tight.
- Take a long step forward and lower your body until your back knee almost touches the floor (your front knee should not extend over your front toe).
- Step back so that your feet are together.
- Repeat (you can either use the same leg or alternate) for desired reps.
- Ensure your hips stay square.
- If the exercise is too hard, start with a shorter step and go further as you improve.
When you are competent with standard bodyweight lunges and would like to maintain the intensity of the exercise you can try the following techniques:
- Lunge Jump - for an explosive adaptation of the standard lunge add a dash of plyometrics.
- Weighted lunge - perform the standard lunge whilst holding dumbbells or wearing a weighted vest for additional intensity. Remember to start small and gradually increase the weight as you improve.
- Overhead Lunge - holding a weighted object overhead whilst moving into the lunge position.