How to do Ring Flys
- Whilst standing on the ground or a stable platform grasp a set of gymnastics rings.
- Begin the fly movement by getting into the top of the ring push-up position, arms straight in front of you.
- Lower the torso to the ground by flaring the arms out to the side (with a slight bend at the elbow), keeping the movement slow and controlled.
- Lower yourself as far as you can and hold the exercise at the bottom momentarily.
- Squeeze your arms back together slowly to return to the starting position.
- Maintain core tension throughout the exercise.
Ring Fly Guide
The Ring Fly is a powerful upper-body exercise using gymnastics rings, which sees you steadily arc your arms out to the sides whilst maintaing static at the elbow joint.
The Ring Fly is particularly effective at building strength in the chest and shoulders but also targets the biceps and core body muscles. You should really feel a good solid stretch in the chest muscles during this exercise and use a slow and controlled movement.
Advanced Ring Flys
The lower the rings are to the ground the more difficult the exercise becomes. Set the ring height according to your strength and fitness levels.
Lower your chest closer to the ground as you gain in strength. Once you can't get any closer you can increase the difficulty of the exercise by raising the feet using a platform, bench or plyo-box.