How to do the Sandbag get-up
- Begin the Get-up with the sandbag over your shoulder and lie down on the ground (on your back). Secure the sandbag in place with the corresponding arm.
- Using your free arm push-up from the floor (your legs may rise from the ground at this point) and proceed to sit-up, whilst continuing to shoulder the load and positioning your legs and feet beneath you.
- Stand straight up with the sandbag still firmly braced against your shoulder.
- Complete the repetition by reversing the movement back down to the starting position.
- Repeat for required reps and switch shoulders for another set.
- You may wish to switch shoulders between repetitions rather than changing between sets. The former approach will burn additional calories and recruit more muscles.
- Ensure that the back is kept straight on the ascent and descent movement.
Sandbag Get-Up Information
The Sandbag Get-Up is an incredible functional strength exercise that trains the core body, requiring an athlete to rise from a horizontal to vertical position whilst suporting a sandbag weight.
The exercise primarily works the core body and abdominals but requires significant effort from the quads, calves and shoulders too.
Benefits of the sandbag get-up -
- Increased core strength
- Increased mobility under an awkward load.