How to do the Club Side Swing
The club side swing is another fundamental club exercise that forms the basis of many, more advanced movements. Beginners to club training should master the front swing as a starting point.
- Bend at the hip and grip the club in front of you, keeping the back straight and looking ahead.
- Drive the legs down and push the club to the side to begin the motion for hip sway and get the club swinging sideways.
- Powerfully move into a lateral hip snap and swing the club out across the body.
- As the club begins to swing back keep your arms locked and control the clubs movement.
- Absorb the backswing and repeat the movement, swapping leading sides for each set.
- Ensure that the club swing is smooth, with no jerking movements.
- Keep your back straight throughout.
Advanced Side Swing Exercise
As you become more proficient with club training and build strength, a good progression from the side swing is the Side Semi Circle Swing.
The Side Semi Circle Swing essentially combines two opposite side swings, taking the club to full extension on either side of the body. As the club descends don't limit the backswing but forcefully drive the hip snap in the opposite direction to the previous repetition.