How to do tire flips
- Squat down and grip the base of the tire.
- Lift the tire by driving up with the legs.
- As the tire raises drive a knee to support the weight and move the hands to the top of the tire.
- Push forward with as much power as possible to complete the tire flip.
- Repeat as required.
- Keep the back straight and lift with the legs.
Tire flip guide
Tire flipping almost works the entire body and is particularly popular with football players and mixed martial artists, as the exercise can build impressive strength and power and closely mimics movements involved in those sports.
Sport specific training aside, the tire flip is an excellent exercise for recreational athletes as it develops multiple fitness skills and burns significant calories due to the large amount of muscle recruitment and coordinated physical effort required.
What tires are used?
The tires used are typically old tractor tires because of their heavy duty construction and that they are available in various sizes and weights.
Once they've served their farming life the tires can be quite a pain to get rid of by owners so are often gladly donated to gyms. If you can get hold of one the tires are not only great for flips, but also sledgehammer training, and box jumps so it's well worth seeking one out.