We often forget how incredible our bodies are. They relentlessly beat, grow, and heal, and all without us giving it a second thought.
We wrote this list as a reminder of what we're made up of to give you perspective when you're taking your body for granted.
The human body has
- 37.2 trillion cells (written out, that’s like 37,200,000,000,000!) all spread across 200 different types of cells
- 60,000 thoughts per day, powered by over 100 billion neurons in the brain
- 127 million retinal (eye) cells which allow you to see over 10 million different colours
- 1,000 olfactory receptors in the nose, allowing us to recognize 50,000 different smells
- 30 trillion red blood cells, making up 6 litres (1.6 gallons) of blood and flowing around 42 billion blood vessels. This network could stretch around the earth four times over!
- 1 heart, four chambers and about 115,000 heartbeats per day (around 9,100 litres / 2,000 gallons per day!)
- Two lungs powering anywhere between 17,280 and 23,040 breaths per day
- 206 bones in adults all powered by 650 muscles, connected by 360 joints. Children have over 300 bones but some of them fuse together as they grow
- All covered in over 100 billion skin cells and 100,000 hair follicles to make us look pretty. This skin creates as much as 10 litres of sweat per day to help control our body temperature!
You’re pretty incredible, right?