Barbell Bent-Over Row Guide
The barbell bent-over row is a big body lift that helps to develop a thick, strong back and it's also suprisingly effective at developing the biceps.
How to do Barbell Bent-Over Rows
- Bend the knees slightly and bring the torso forward over a bar, whilst keeping the back straight. Grasp the bar with an overhand grip.
- Keep the upper body stationary and pull the barbell to the torso and pause.
- Return bar under control to the starting position and repeat.
- Do not perform the exercise if you have a history of back problems.
- Always use a weight that you can control.
- Maintain good form at all times, keeping the back straight and shoulders pulled back.
Barbell Bent-Over Row Variations
Try the following variations to the bent over row:
- Close grip bent over row - to focus effort on the middle back muscles.
- Underhand bent over row - to increase lat involvement during the exercise.