How to do the One-Arm Kettlebell Clean
- Begin the one-arm clean with a kettlebell in front of you between your feet
- Bend down and grab the kettlebell whilst pushing your butt out
- Keep looking straight ahead and lift the kettlebell from the floor
- Swing the kettlebell back through your legs to gain momentum for the exercise and immediately reverse the direction and forecefully drive the kettlebell swing forwards, bringing the bell up to your shoulder.
- As the kettlebell rises to your shoulder stand-up straight whilst opening your hand to revolve the bell and move your hand round the handle rather than letting the kettlebell thud into your wrist.
- Return to the starting position finishing the first repetition. Complete the set and switch arms holding the kettlebell.
One-Arm Kettlebell Clean Guide
The Kettlebell Clean is a core exercise that every kettlebell practitioner should master. The original focus of this exercise was to provide a safe method of raising the kettlebell into a position suitable for overhead lifts such as kettlebell military presses, the push-press or double jerk amongst others. However, this is an excellent exercise in its own right to build strength and endurance.
Please ensure strict form. The Kettlebell Clean should not cause pain or bruising to the forearm or shoulder. If you're experiencing issues then you are probably not doing it correctly. Stop and study the proper form or seek guidance from a kettlebell instructor.
One-Arm Kettlebell Clean Variations
- Double kettlebell clean - supporting two kettlebells and training both arms simultaneously.