Suspended Single Leg Squat
Intensely train the lower body with one-legged squats. This notoriously difficult exercise can be learned using a suspension trainer for assistance.
- Primary Muscle: Quadriceps
- Secondary Muscle(s): Hamstrings
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Also known as: Suspended pistol squat
- Equipment: Suspension Trainer
Suspended Single-Leg Squat Guide
The unassisted single leg squat (pistol squat) is a difficult and an impressive exercise that few can acheive without dedicated training.
The suspended single leg squat involves the use of a suspension trainer as an assistance aid to make the exercise more achievable. You should integrate the suspended pistol squat into training to build the required strength and balance in order to perform the exercise unaided.
Single leg squat training develops leg strength, flexibility, balance skills and increases your vertical jump.
Note: It's recommended that you first master the standard bodyweight squat to learn correct technique and build base strength before training specifically for the single leg version.
How to do the Suspended Single-Leg Squat
- Stand facing a suspension trainer and hold the handles with a light, neutral grip.
- Lift one leg from the floor, pointed in front of the body. Whilst balanced, maintain alignment and distribute your weight evenly through the middle of the grounded foot.
- Squat down on one leg (keeping opposite leg from the floor), until squatting leg is parallel to the ground.
- Push back up to the starting position and repeat.
- Maintain good posture and alignment throughout the exercise.
- Use the suspension trainer straps to make the exercise achievable but challenging.
- To increase the effect of the exercise ensure that you do not lift the heel from the floor.
Advanced Single-Leg Squat
Use the single leg suspended squat to build up your strength in order to perform the exercise unassisted. See the full Single Leg Squat for more details in the bodyweight exercises section.
Always consult your GP before undertaking any form of weight loss, fitness or exercise